Friday, June 4, 2010

Business As Usual

Owning your own business isn't as easy as everyone thinks

Since I posted last, I have become the owner of an Ice Cream Parlor in Buena Vista called Alexander's Ice Cream Emporium. My parents owned it and weren't doing as well as they would have liked, and so about three weeks ago gave it to me because apparently I know how to run a business.

So here I am. A "prosperous business owner" as a friend likes to call me. But the issue is, I'm not prosperous. And it seems dang near impossible to be so! They have found ways to squeeze any amount of money out of you that they can. Business license fee, corporate license fee, legal fees for said licenses, taxes, royalties for playing music, more taxes, and the list goes on and on. I signed up for an online service that keeps track of payroll and does the taxes for me. Which is nice. But the fee isn't quite so nice. Moral of the story: if you want to start a business, be rich first.

It takes so much time too. Filling out form after form, and forms for your employees to sign that you sign after. Government forms, vendor forms, bank forms, forms that you sign so you can be allowed to sign the form that says you dont have to sign any other forms. And you are the only one who can do it. Sometimes it would be great to have another me who could do the things I have to do so I could do the other important things I am neglecting. Like sleep.

Anyway, now that I'm done vomiting my anger all over my blog, I want to say how FREAKING cool it is that I own a business! I just feel so grown up, you know? I wrote someone a paycheck yesterday. Yep. I paid someone. That someone worked for me. I am officially the "man" that many popular songs suggest sticking it to. And you know what? For some reason, I kinda like that.

1 comment:

  1. Nate! You have a blog! And somehow I wasn't told about it. Congratulations on owning your own business!

    ReplyDelete