Tuesday, February 8, 2011

People Creeper

I'm a bit of a people creeper. Meaning, sometimes I just like to watch people and observe (or creep on them). It's actually an ok thing to do. You only get creeper status when someone catches you doing it. So be careful.

Anyway, I am currently sitting in our little cafe on campus (which is over a pool that is filled in) and just looking at people. I think its interesting to look at them and to imagine what they are thinking about. It's surprising to see the different (and rather expressive) faces people will make while going about various tasks. There is a girl in the far right of the room who keeps glancing up to the television (which is showing a sports show), glaring at it as if it deeply offended her sense of propriety, and goes back to her computer screen where she is playing what looks like some kind of MMORPG.

Not too far in front of me is a guy who at first glance is thinking nothing because of the blank kind of stare on his face. But if I look around the arm rest of the chair I can see a ukulele, which he is slowly strumming. That blank stare is (oddly) one of concentration.

Another girl on the left side of the room is reading a book with her headphones in. She occasionally lets out a little giggle, and then goes back to her silent perusal. I wonder if it's the book or whatever is playing on her iPod that she finds amusing.

More people are waling in and out. Some of them look at others and strike up a conversation. Others pass through without acknowledging the rest of the world. It is so FASCINATING to see all these little worlds passing and intersecting with each other, some of them leaving little ripples, and others making huge waves in the ponds and lakes and oceans of others' worlds. The more I watch, the more I realize how easy it is to be caught up in yourself. Even people who mean well get trapped by it. I constantly try to better myself, but in the process I realize that I tend to become very self absorbed. Maybe we could all do a little better with noticing others.

Being a people creeper isn't all that bad. I rather enjoy it. I feel like I connect with the world as a whole when I do. Try it out sometime. There's lots to see, you just gotta look. Or creep. whatever you want to call it.

1 comment:

  1. People watching a lovely pastime. Best in a park, museum, airport, or dining area. The only problem is the staring factor. You're right - if you're caught, you are a creepy creeper.

    ReplyDelete