Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden's Death

So I got up early (like, 6 in the morning) to go play racquetball with my friends Jon and Kevin. I was VERY tired. They asked why, and I told them it was because I was up late trying to find any video I could referring to Osama bin Laden's death.

It was a shock to be honest. I thought that he would never be found (if he was even still alive). But lo and behold President Obama makes an announcement telling us that a team found and killed him.

I first found the news out from Facebook. All sorts of posts were up. Most of them had lots and lots of exclamation points after them. There were some Wahoos! and Git er done!!!'s and lots of All right!!!!!!!!!!!'s and so on. More and more of them were happening. People were getting on just to comment on the news or post a patriotic video or something of the sort. I would guess that at LEAST one half of the stories on my news feed were about his death. Some people even texted me. I had one friend who simply asked if I had heard about it, the rest were straight up celebrating and spreading the joyous news. AND IT MADE ME ANGRY.

Why? Well, this first. Some may have thought that it was indeed joyous news that needed to be spread, but he wasn't the Wicked Witch of the West people. He was a real person. He helped orchestrate a terrible attack on the U.S. that killed many, and he led a group of people bent on inciting fear in multiple countries. That was horrible. He was clearly an angry, hateful, and even a very fearful man. But I do NOT think that these facts make it ok for American's to cheer and dance at the news of his death (which, I might point out, was not unlike the celebration that members of Al Qaeda partook in just after the 9/11 attacks).

I just don't think people see that they are celebrating, even REJOICING in his death. I just cant help but feel a little uncomfortable with that. True, I am not sad he is dead. Its does seem just. Hopefully his death will weaken the resolve of the splinter terrorist groups who have carried things on. But celebrating at his death will only breed anger and contempt. No matter how terrible, a life has been lost. And I feel pity for him. He has a lot to answer for.

3 comments:

  1. I pity him too, Nate. I always feel uncomfortable when people get excited over someone's death. It feels wrong somehow. But, I can't even pretend to understand how other people are thinking or feeling; perhaps, they don't know how to react, so they do the easiest thing, rejoice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I kept feeling a bit confused about why people were celebrating his death. American people are becoming more desensitized or something. Whatever the case, rejoicing for someones death (good or bad) should never be a normal reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think more people were celebrating the fact that he was found and our minds could be at ease. No one should be happy in anyones death but it says in the book of mormon "it is better for one man perish than a whole nation dwindle in unbelief."

    ReplyDelete